Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Coupon Organizational Strategies


So I don't really know if anyone is out there actually reading this, but I'm having fun so I figure we'll just keep plugging ahead, okay? (Okay!)

Let's talk a little today about coupon organization. I've tried several different methods and I think I've finally found one that works for me. After trying the little booklets and the folders and the commercial stuff, I've found that a plain old 3 ring binder does the trick. I filled my binders with page protectors that are meant for 4x6 pictures and baseball cards. The pages that hold 4x6 pictures I use for categories that have lots and lots of coupons like cereal and popcorn and snacks. I use the baseball card slots for things like butter or meats that I may not have as many coupons for or that I want to keep all in one glance. You get two picture slots per page and you get nine baseball card slots per page. I'll go into my personal categories later, but really the most important thing is trial and error until you find what works for you. I find that this part of the deal is constantly evolving because I keep refining my system. I use little white file folder sticker labels to label each slot, that way if I change things up, those are easy to remove and start over with. Plus they're like, maybe a buck for a giant pack of a thousand. That lets me change my mind a million times.

I use two separate books...one for drugstore-type items and one for grocery store items. I started with one book, but it just got too thick. I found the perfect little spot to keep these with me as well. I drive a van (read: Mommy-Mobile) and I have just enough room between my seat and the center console to slide one of these babies right in there. I do the same between the passenger seat and the console and then I have both books on hand at all times just in case I need them for an unplanned run into Target.
These are what the inside pages look like...it's not a great image, but it should give you an idea. The top image has both of my books. You can see that I use the front slide-in pouches for items that may not fit into a regular category or for big-dollar coupons that I don't want to forget about. Also I keep rain checks there so that I don't misplace them.

Hopefully that gives you an idea of how I get started. The most important part of all of this is FIND WHAT WORKS FOR YOU. Everyone's Obsessive Compulsive Disorder manifests itself in different ways...you just have to find what you like and stick with it. 

We'll talk a little more in another post about where exactly I get my coupons. And no, it doesn't involve dumpster-diving. That's what makes my blog different from some of the other coupon-crazies you'll find in the blogosphere. I don't find it necessary to dig through the trash for good deals. Then again, don't knock it 'till you've tried it, I guess...

1 comment:

Butterfly Kisses said...

Great blog! I use the binder system to because it is so easy to flip through if I notice something is on sale or clearanced out then I don't have to dig. I usually have three kids with me so I have to be able to check quickly without dropping anything on the ground! Well, back to enjoying your blog! Thanks!