Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Everything Baked Potato Lasagna



This is the new recipe I tried this week. Mine wasn't quite this pretty, so I borrowed this image from the Paula Deen magazine website. Right off the bat, with my mention of The Butter Queen, you'll probably guess that this wasn't a super-healthy dinner, but it was definitely tasty and one that has a lot of options for lightening up, actually. 
The original recipe is HERE if you'd like to try it. It actually went over really well with my very picky family and while the original called for a lot of high fat ingredients, I was able to lighten it up with some low fat sour cream and low fat cheese and then in addition I think you could even take it the next step and use cauliflower puree instead of the potatoes for a less starchy version. You could also most certainly use low fat milk instead of the cream and whole milk too. I just had a tiny portion the other night because it was pretty rich and heavy.
In general,  my husband thought it could use more bacon (but my husband thinks bacon is a food group, so consider the source). I thought it was actually a little heavy on the mashed potato mixture. I think the next time I make it I may use a little diced ham in there as well just for a little more protein. I'll decrease the potato mixture by about a pound of potatoes as well.
One perk about the recipe is that it most definitely could be made in advance and refrigerated until you're ready to bake it. I dirtied up every pot in the house twice making it, so I would advise that if you're going to make it for your family, make it in the morning when you have extra energy, throw it in the fridge and then pull it out and bake it for an hour or so...that way you're not up washing pots half the night like I was. :)

Hang in there for more coupon posts...they're coming soon.

What are you fixing for dinner this week? 



1 comment:

Danielle said...

I am making Chicken Veggie Stirfry tonight. It has become one of our staples. I just use any veggies I have in the house w/ some chicken - add some garlic, fresh ginger, soy sauce and your chicken broth/corn starch mixture. Cook it up and serve over rice - yum! :)